Monday, July 02, 2007

London Memoirs.....

First of all, I apologise for the long silence......

I have a lot to say. But well, let me start with sharing a thought about that "the art of acting" that came to my mind, during my recent memorable trip to London...

I decided to spend one afternoon in browsing bookshops that mostly sell old books. Nancy, who lives with my friends Chintan and Purvi, told me that near Charing Cross station, there are lots of nice book stores. I reached Charing Cross. The street adjacent to the Charing Cross station is Strand Street. Suddenly the name "Strand bookstore" came to my mind. I don't know, what made me think that Strand bookstore is on Strand street, but somehow I started asking people with full conviction as to, where the Strand bookstore was. After a few perplexed faces, I finally got a reply from an elderly gentleman. With a smirk, he replied, "Sir, Strand bookstore is in New York. This is Strand street, and there are some book stores here.


Well, then I started walking along Charing Cross street and started checking bookstores randomly. Can you believe?, I actually found the book I was looking for. It was, "An Actor prepares" by Konstantin Stanislavski. After I found the book and just couldn't resist to start reading it. I found an aptly tranquil place in "Café Vergnano 1882" (62, Charing Cross street) near Lancaster Square, and started reading.

Now, you may wonder, what am I getting at. What do I want to convey? Probably nothing. It was an amazingly surrealistic experience. It was as if, I had gone back some 50 years in time. I was browsing through all the old books in every possible bookshop. I was sitting in a café which commenced its operations in 1882. Reading Stanislavski was a great experience too. The person who made "Method Acting" so popular. The person revered by so many actors, like Marlon Brando, James Dean, Al Pacino and Lee Strasberg.


While reading his book, I started thinking about Acting itself, the process that an actor undergoes and the purpose of Acting. I don't want to confuse you with all the weird thoughts and metaphors I went through. The conclusion of my thoughts, I wrote down on a serviette. Before it gets destroyed, and I forget the conclusion of that wonderful afternoon, I am writing it down.



"It's the focus that counts

It's the shadow that cries

It's 'I' that surmounts

and It's 'me' that dies "

1 comment:

Rishit Jain said...

Nice :)